Monday, October 6, 2014

Does objectivity still exist in media coverage of politics? Well some would argue yes, but many more say no. I did a little research on this subject. The media is based on what people need to know not want they want to know. Who has the right to say what is or is not important in this world. I think the news should report the truth not the opinion as to say. Everyone has opinions are they all right or wrong? Who is to say. If you have a job to do you should do it to the best of your ability with honor and integrity. If my name was going behind it I would want it to be the truth.Cable and local channels have changed drastically over recent years. The evening networks news have remained remarkable the same.I think CNN is objective.Fox News and MSNBC are biased. The evening news reports what i feel is closer to the truth. I read an article by Andrew Beargon on Poynter.org that said morning radio shows are the most informative. MSNBC has a conservative view point.Fox News had Moderate or Liberal views. According to FDU Political Scientist Dan Cassino said the results showed " Ideological news sources like Fox and MSNBC are really just talking to one audience."

As for radio shows they are the most listened to hot debates happen, if they don't agree with each other a huge debate usually occurs. I personally have never listened to them.Rush Limbaugh has a conservative view on the issues at hand. Most talk shows are 90% conservative from what I researched. The radio reaches a wide variety of people for listeners reaches smaller people on a closer level. I feel the government has influence on all media to an extent.

Media objectivity is definitely important. It shapes the listener views to their beliefs or to that party's beliefs. According to David Brooks from Catholic Education resource center in an article titled Objectivity in Journalism said,  "There is a dispute whether objectivity can really exist? I think the truth is what we fall short of giving but we always strive for the truth." and in another part he states, " They have to face the facts just as much as anybody else." I think that those statements says a lot.

6 comments:

  1. i enjoyed your post donna-well said!! i couldnt agree more about integrity and honesty. i totally agree about who sets the agenda-and in the end can we just have the truth. the truth is definately what they all fall short of giving, and their motivation and goals are all distorted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think honesty and integrity in the news media has been replaced a lot of times with what gets the most ratings. It's a shame that it's gotten that way, but I think that's what it's all about. I enjoy reading Fox news, but your are right, they are somewhat biased, and I think a lot of people will agree with you on that. I read something similar as you did on media objectivity. There are many who think it is absolutely impossible to find complete objectivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree we alway strive for the truth, but anymore we cannot find the truth because the news media want to cover it up and only report on half the story. I believe that the news media should be fair and balanced so that the people cant decide for themselves which political party the feel is correct and then they can follow it with people like Rush and Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert DeVaney
    I am totally with you, I never listen to the radio either when it comes to that stuff. Also from what I hear is that they are also very biased too, and it does bother me. I have yet to really find one that sways equally in both directions. I also agree with you on the fact that government does play a huge role in the media also. That really bothers me too, because I feel like we are not getting all the information we should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I responded to Stephanie Steele, Robert Johnson,And Stacey Clark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very good point there Donna. Your statement about the news media choosing which stories to cover based on need to know information compared to want to know information creates an enormous amount of objectivity that should not be determined by one person. I would have to say, in their defense, the time constraints to present the information and the teams of people the news media programs utilize do help with the issue of objectivity but I do feel since there is competition between other news channels their presentations are quite biased.
    It’s also interesting that 90% of talk shows are conservative. This definitely defines and reveals the objectivity in news media. Also, if that estimation is accurate it shows how important objectivity is and that we acknowledge it to the fullest extent.

    ReplyDelete